Travel to Canada- Questions Frequently Asked

Hi there, this article centers on the question frequently asked by tourists who wish to visit Canada. We have compiled a list of realistic answers to the possible questions. Kindly get yourself a coffee mug as you sit tight to read on.

What happens if I already have a previous Canadian visa and it has not expired?

If you have a valid Canadian visa, you can use it until it expires; however, when it expires you must process the eTA.

What is the eTA?

It is an electronic form that authorizes visa-free foreign citizens to enter Canada by air. The eTA is electronically linked to your passport and is valid for five years or until the expiration of your passport (whichever comes first).

Is it necessary to apply for eTA every time I visit Canada?

With the current eTA it is possible to travel to Canada as many times as you wish for short periods of stay, which can be authorized for up to six months at each visit.

Where is the eTA processed?

On the official website of the government of Canada:

 What are the requirements to process the eTA?

  • Valid passport.
  • Credit or debit card
  • Email.


Do I need an eTA to enter Canada by land or sea?

No. The eTA is only necessary when entering Canada by air.

Other requirements to enter Canada:

  • Passport valid for at least 6 months at the time of entry and until the date your trip ends.
  • Not having a serious health problem.
  • Not have a criminal record or immigration offenses.
  • Have family, work and / or financial ties in the place of origin that will allow you to demonstrate your intention to return to your country of origin.
  • Have enough money for your stay.
  • All travelers, regardless of nationality, must satisfy the immigration formalities established by the Canadian government and make the customs declaration of the goods and / or values ​​that they intend to introduce to the country.


What are the causes of inadmissibility to Canada? 

Immigration authorities may deny entry to Canada if the person:

  • It represents a risk to the security of the country.
  • He has committed human rights violations or serious crimes.
  • You have a criminal or criminal record, including being convicted of driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
  • You have lied in the application for admission or during the interview.
  • It has links to organized crime.
  • You have serious health and / or financial problems.
  • He has falsified documents.
  • He has breached the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act of Canada.
  • He has an inadmissible relative.
  • You have exceeded your allowed time to stay in Canada.

What happens if I exceed my allowed time to stay?

If you exceed the allowed time of stay you run the risk of deportation and of being considered inadmissible.

How can I emigrate to Canada?

The government of Canada has several programs for you to immigrate to that country. Immigration programs are:

  • Express Entry: For candidates to immigrate to Canada who have qualified work experience and can integrate into the Canadian economy.
  • Québec program of skilled workers: For immigrant candidates who have qualified work experience and can integrate into the economy of the Quebec region.
  • Start-up Visa: For candidates to immigrate to Canada who intend to start their own business and that is a source of employment for Canadians.
  • Program for self-employed persons: For candidates to immigrate to Canada who will be self-employed, either in the Canadian agricultural or livestock industry or in the cultural and artistic industry of Canada.
  • Nomination Program by Provinces: For candidates who have been nominated by the nomination program by provinces and demonstrate work experience, education or skills to contribute to the economy of the province in which they were nominated.
  • Immigration Program to Atlantic provinces: For candidates who have an offer of employment who wish to reside permanently in New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia or Prince Edward Island.
  • Caregiver residency program: For candidates who have had work experience in Canada, wish their permanent residence and offer care to infants, the elderly, and sensitive health persons.


If I have a family member in Canada, can I process my residence in that country?

If you have a direct family member who is a citizen or permanent resident in Canada and is at least 18 years of age, you may qualify to process your permanent residence in that country.

Can I work in Canada?

  • Entry to Canada with an eTA and as a tourist does not / does not allow work in that country.


What do I need to work in Canada?

  • It is necessary to process a work permit before entering Canada.
  • You can be hired to work in Canada through two programs: The Temporary Work Program for Foreigners (TFWP) and the International Mobility Program (IMP).
  • In order to obtain a work permit in Canada under these assumptions, employer intervention is required through your job offer and the Ministry of Employment and Social Development of Canada (ESDC) to obtain the Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).
  • Additionally, the Government of Mexico has a bilateral agreement with Canada for the hiring of Mexican temporary agricultural workers (Mexico-Canada Temporary Agricultural Workers Program, PTAT).


Where can I get more information about working in Canada?

  • Those interested in applying for temporary employment or emigrating to Canada are advised to visit the website of the Ministry of Immigration and Citizenship of Canada, and the Ministry of Employment and Social Development of Canada.
  • For temporary agricultural workers, it is suggested to contact the offices of the National Employment Service of the Ministry of Labor and Social Welfare in Mexican territory at the telephone number (55) 3000 2100.
  • For more information on the Government of Canada, go to the website of the Ministry of Employment and Social Development of Canada (ESDC):

Apart from my work permit do I need an eTA?

  • If you are a national of a visa-free country, such as Mexico, and received your work permit before December 1, 2016, you must apply for eTA if you leave Canada and return by air.
  • If you received your work permit on or after December 1, 2016, you were automatically granted an eTA along with your permission.
  • If you renew a work permit you must apply for a separate eTA.


Can I study in Canada?

  • Yes, but it is necessary to process a study permit and have an eTA before entering Canada.
  • If your studies in Canada are short, with a duration of no more than six months, you do not require a study permit but an eTA, in the case of arriving by air.


In addition to my study permit, do I need an eTA?

  • If you come from a visa-free country and received your study permit before December 1, 2016, in the case of Mexico, you must apply for eTA if you leave Canada and return by air.
  • If you received your study permit on or after December 1, 2016, you were automatically granted an eTA.

I really hope this article helped you a great deal. You can make it more fun by using the comment box below to express your views!

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.